Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pan, Zoom and Transform in SketchBook Express

I was playing with SketchBook Express on my MAC today, and I found the transformation and pan/zoom widgets intriguing.

Transformation Widget
SketchBook Express implements a novel solution for transforming a selected area. Upon selection a widget enables a different type of transformations: move, rotate and scale. The default action is pan, so, If I select, and start dragging right after, the widget will perform a move.

The widget appears when moving the mouse near the selection and it disappears when moving away from it. This is a similar show/hide behavior that Word implements for contextual floating toolbars. I found somewhat annoying Word's permanently hiding the toolbar when I move the mouse too far. Clearly Word tries to guess my intentions, but, as usual, smart behaviors are great if they right 90%, and frustrating otherwise. Luckily SketchBook does not fall into this trap, and it provides a simple close button to explicitly hide of the widget.



While this widget provides an interesting solution for transforming a selection, it does take some time to get used to it. I found myself always hesitating a bit before starting a move. Will I ever adapt?

Pan/Zoom Widget
SketchBook Express implements also a novel solution for Pan and Zoom. Upon press and hold of the SPACE bar the app displays a floating Pan/Zoom widget.

I can manipulate the view until I get when I want, then release the SPACE bar to return to my previous mode. Pan/Zoom is also an explicit mode, but I found the quasi-modal solution the most appealing.



SketchBook Express is free on the MAC. if you find intriguing what I described, try it for yourself!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I јust say ωhat a comfoгt to finԁ somеοne thаt actually unԁегstands what they are discussing on the net.
You defіnіtely understand hоw to bring an issue to lіght and mаke
іt imρortant. More and more peоple shοuld reaԁ this and undегѕtand thiѕ side
of thе story. І сan't believe you're not
more populаr ѕіnсе you
certainlу havе thе gift.
My web-site ; Hotmail Correo

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Google Plus Stumbleupon RSS Feed

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Web Hosting Coupons